A TRULY MAGICAL PLACE
Around this time last year, most people my age
were in a dilemma. It was the time to choose their career paths. With so many
different engineering and medical colleges to choose from, one could say they
were spoilt for choice. People all around me were discussing their cut-off marks,
placements in different colleges, entrance exams, basically the kind of things
that would make your head whirl just thinking about it. Of course, they
expected me to do the same. But no, my mind was made up. I was not going to
spend another four years of my life learning things I had absolutely no
interest in. My road was the one lined with Shakespeare, Marlowe and other great people, the one which did not have a ready-made job waiting at the end of it.
Yes, I wanted to study English literature. The only question was where.
My sights were set on one of the best institutions
in the city. With recommendation letters and attempted meetings with the
Principal, I couldn’t say that I didn’t try my best. Alas! All those efforts
were in vain. Apparently, being a catholic meant more to them than having an
interest for the subject. I then turned to the only other place in the city
which had a reputation as good as, if not better, than this one, and I was
granted a place with little hesitation. And there I was, on the first day of
college, alone and vulnerable, walking through the gates into a huge place with
no idea what to expect. The first three days were intimidating. We freshmen had
to attend orientation programs in the main auditorium. The sheer size of the
crowd was terrifying. All around me, I saw people in groups talking, joking and
having fun. In the midst of it all, sat this individual, alone and
apprehensive, wondering if all those stories one hears about ragging and the
like were true. The first visit to my class didn’t help matters. We were
addressed by the Head of the department, being told what was expected of us
during our brief stint with him. On the long journey back home, all that I
thought about was how I was going to fit in.
All my fears proved baseless when I returned after
the weekend, when our classes started. We had wonderful professors who made us
feel right at home, and my fellow students weren’t half bad either. At the end
of the day, I found myself with a few friends, and a strange excitement about
attending classes for the days to come, a feeling which was quite alien to me.
As the days went by, I found out what “living the dream” meant. The huge
campus, the greenery, the classes, the people, everything was wonderful in this
place. After three months, I found myself thanking my stars for bringing me to
this place. I made some truly incredible friends and shared amazing moments
with them, feeling right at home whenever I’m around them.
Fast forward one year, as I’m typing this into my
computer, I find myself wishing that time would pass a bit slower. They say
time flies when you’re in college. I didn’t realize it would fly this quickly.
It seems only yesterday that I was walking through those gates, all alone and
scared. Now, the only feeling that greets me at the sight of those same gates
is a feeling of simple happiness. Who says magic doesn’t exist? I look around
me, and I see magic in the trees, the bushes, the various animals, the people,
the buildings…everything is magical here. For a wonderful year that has gone by
much too quickly, I thank you, MCC.
No comments:
Post a Comment